Friday, June 4, 2010



Wednesday
Market day, early morning lessons, shopping, and Aziz’s birthday.



There were lessons in the morning.

Wednesday was very hot, walking through the market you felt as if the sun was everywhere. Market day takes over the streets of Mampong. It is vey colorful and noisy.

In the late afternoon I was preparing to go to the internet café but because of the rain it was closed. The merchants along the streets folded their wares into large plastic sheets and plastic tubs and put them on top of their heads and headed for shelter. Everyone here carries their shopping or merchandise on their heads. Often you see women carrying babies on their backs and huge boxes or pails on their heads.



By evening there had already been two blackouts. Not a good night to be wandering around Mampong, even with a flashlight. I am concerned that there will be another blackout or worse a torrential down pour.

I stayed at the hotel and read. I am reading a fabulous book called “Comfort me with Apples” by Ruth Reichl. She is a food critic and journalist and she writes great books that are autobiographical that include recipes. The first book in the series is called “Tender at the Bone”. It was excellent. In that book she writes about her youth and how she became a foodie. The second book, which I am reading now, describes her marriage, loves, interesting food assignments she researched, her travel to china, how she became a famous journalist, and more about her family.


I have great pictures of market day but I am having difficulty uploading them. I will try the glcps website.



I miss everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your stories of my hometown here. Though blackouts are rampant, it's a cool place to live. :)

    Hope you visit again soon.

    ReplyDelete