Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tuesday June 8th 2010

The photos below were taken from the roof of the Video City Hotel, Mampong, Asanti, Ghana, Africa.


"Up On The Roof" a hit song by the Drifters
(written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King)

"When this old world starts getting me down
And people are just too much for me to face
I climb way up to the top of the stairs
And all my cares just drift right into space
On the roof, it's peaceful as can be
And there the world below can't bother me
Let me tell you now
When I come home feelin' tired and beat
I go up where the air is fresh and sweet (up on the roof)
I get away from the hustling crowd
And all that rat-race noise down in the street (up on the roof)
On the roof, the only place I know
Where you just have to wish to make it so
Let's go up on the roof (up on the roof)
















For many days we have had no access to internet.

Sunday was a down day. I finished my book, organized the photos and videos that are saved in this computer, washed clothes and went for walks.

The hotel we are staying at is called Video City Hotel. It was built in the 70's by the present owners father. There is a movie house adjacent to the hotel. It is a cavernous room with large paintings that look like posters of old movies and movie stars. Nowadays, the movie house is used to watch sports events like the upcoming World Cup. Ghana's team, The Black Stars, have a very good chance of wining. Sunday evening we sat in this indoor movie stadium and watched a Chris Rock movie about reincarnation(sorry I forgot the name). It was hysterical.

The hotel is on 5 or 6 acres. The owner and manager are thinking of ways to update the facility, create food and flower gardens, and attract more clients. It is situated in a lovely section of the town that is very green and near all the hustle and bustle of the market place.
I had a brainstorming session with them. We thought of visual art courses, music, culinary, marketing, ecology classes that could come to study the environment and suggest green solutions for their problems.

I met with the assistant head master, Mr. Baba, of the Amaniapong high school. I am visiting the school tomorrow. "The students are excited to meet you as you are to meet them", said Mr. Baba. More about that tomorrow.

I miss you all so much. I have learned some great dance steps. There is an opportunity for a GLCPS group to join other dancers studying Ghanaian dancing and drumming in our home town to learn Gahu and Kete.

Asomdwie (peace)
XO
Ms. Brown
P.S. Ms. Gamboa you will love the amazing cloth I am bringing home for our future quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment